We are looking for an experienced and talented Farm manager to join our Operations team. In this role, the Farm Manager will be involved with both the development of new farms and the evolution of current farms and play a tactical role in fulfilling farm operations.
- Directs and coordinates worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping.
- Contracts with farmers or independent owners for raising of crops or for management of crop production.
- Coordinates growing activities with those of engineering, equipment maintenance, packing houses, and other related departments.
- Analyzes market conditions to determine acreage allocations.
- Confers with purchasers and arranges for sale of crops.
- Records information, such as production, farm management practices, and parent stock, and prepares financial and operational reports.
- Determines procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater efficiency and accuracy.
- Analyzes soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production.
- Inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Inspects farms and fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from pest, weather and mechanical injuries.
- Plans and directs development and production of plant varieties with high yield or disease and insect resistant characteristics.
- Purchases and coordinate machinery, equipment, and supplies, such as tractors, seed, fertilizer, and chemicals.
- Hires, discharges, transfers, and promotes workers, enforces safety regulations, and interprets policies.
- Ensuring that the farm is profitable and meets projected financial targets
- Making sure that work progresses satisfactorily and keeping an up-to-date knowledge of pests and diseases
- At least 5 years experience in horticulture farming
- 5 years experience with managing commercial farms of 100 acres and above
- Experience with reporting and documenting farm work.
- Experience with data logging of farm work progress and farm metrics.
- Familiarity with preparing crop production protocols and cost estimation;
- Interpersonal skills in managing stakeholder relationships on the farm.
- Farm supply chain and logistics management.
- Farm first aid delivery and safety assurance.
- Read and execute production plans and project management tools
- Conversant with data entry tools and using Microsoft office tools.
- Ability to apply research proven techniques to implement farm work.
- Recruiting, training/instructing and supervising farm workers
- Preventive maintenance/repair of farm property, equipment and machinery
- Teamwork and leadership
- Good communication skills
- The ability to apply technical knowledge of the environment and legislation/public policy matters in a practical environment
Qualifications and Education Requirements
BS or MS degree in Agriculture science, Horticulture, Farm Management or related discipline OR industry related experience.